Sustainability is in! But it’s not a trend. Sustainable business practices are imperative for our environment and our futures, and they're here to stay. More and more brands are adopting sustainable practices and products with environmentally-friendly production, natural packaging, and less harmful ingredients. The beauty and hair industry is no exception. Many beauty and hair brands are shifting towards more natural products in the name of sustainability. As the consumer demand for sustainable products grows, so does the supply, especially when it comes to natural and sustainable hair care. At Moda, we strongly believe in sustainable beauty solutions. Read on for an introduction to sustainable and natural products and some tips on how to join the sustainable movement as a consumer!
The shift to sustainability
Environmental activists have been calling for environmental protection, sustainability, and climate change prevention for decades. In recent years, larger groups from the general population have joined the calls for sustainability, with a focus on personal responsibility and a demand for government and corporate actions. As consumer demand for eco-friendly or green products continued to rise, so did the amount of sustainable and natural products on the market. The hair care industry has seen a significant increase in sustainable and natural hair care products that minimize waste and include natural ingredients that help our planet, and still help you look good!
Sustainability and eco-consciousness have now become commonplace across industries, with many companies issuing sustainability reports. By adopting these practices and approaches, businesses play a role in reducing the carbon footprint and minimizing waste, both critical steps to fight climate change and work towards a more sustainable future. Sustainable products, and eco-friendly processes, will help preserve natural resources for future generations and that is exactly what we should all be working towards. This is also why we will continue to stock, share, and use sustainable hair care brands and eco-friendly hair care products at Moda.
So what makes a product sustainable and natural?
Here are a few traits that will help you know if a product is sustainable:
- Plastic-free or minimal waste packaging. Around 85% of plastic products are not recycled and end up in landfills. Plastic is hard to break down, and plastic is a significant contributor to ocean pollution. The production of plastic also generates a large amount of greenhouse gasses, making plastic alternatives, especially biodegradable ones, a must when it comes to eco-friendly products and packaging. This is why we love shampoo bars!
Calling all blondes! Incorporate the Heart of Glass line into your eco-friendly hair care routine! They are made to highlight the beauty of your blonde hair and are produced with energy entirely from renewable sources.
- Free of harsh chemicals. The chemicals in our hair care products that we put on our hair and skin, are also being washed down into our drains and water. These chemicals harm our environment and aren’t great for our hair either! For chemical-free hair care, we stock one of our favourite brands, Davines, which encourages people to take care of themselves, and the environment in which they live.
How to incorporate natural products into your routine
- Highlight what you want to look for. The first thing to decide is which sustainable traits you are looking for in your journey to eco-conscious hair care. For example: Are you most interested in starting with eco-friendly packaging? Are you looking for all-natural ingredients? Is cruelty-free or fair trade important to you? Perhaps a combination of a few traits? Knowing what you want to look for will help you in your search for sustainable hair care products.
- Start small. You don’t have to ditch all your products at once. Try switching out your shampoo or conditioner to start! And don’t worry about compromising on the quality and specificity of your products for your hair type. Sustainable hair products are available for a range of hair types, including our curly girls!
- Try a plastic-free alternative. Plastic packaging is a huge issue and plastic-free alternatives are a great step towards a full eco-friendly hair care routine. Try a shampoo bar or a refillable bottle!
- Ask a pro! We love helping you find products that work for you and work for the environment. We’d love to help you get started with a sustainable hair care routine.
At Moda, we’re committed to sustainability and partnering with eco-conscious brands. We’re proud of the sustainable products we carry and we’re always looking for ways to continue to work towards a cleaner, greener environment. If you’re ready to take your hair care to the next, more eco-friendly level, get started by looking at what products our sustainable partners have that may be right for you. The environment, and your hair, will thank you!
Choosing eco-friendly hair care products is a great move for your hair and a significant step towards sustainability. The choices we make at home and the businesses we support make a difference for the planet and can help us all build a healthier, more sustainable future.